PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rest of the world didn't do much did they?
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 11:38
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the same Not Invented Here syndrome in Russia, France, Germany and ~er~ Britain where the local heroes are lauded with or without the weasel words like 'solo' 'non-stop' or 'apart from some funny foreigners who don't count' put in or left out.

The two factors making it the same old-same old is that because Britain and the USA both share a sort of similar language, you know what they aren't saying on the other side of the pond. Oh, and your country has to have an imperial sized ego and a few achievements to boost too of course. Working in a different language gives a while different world of aviation achievement.

Australia, Canada and New Zealand have a few notables too, but I guess they are used to being patronised by the fat boys, so it don't notice so much...

To look to the mote in one's own eye, I'd have said Alcock & Brown were first - but they weren't were they? First - NON-STOP... Neither the USN or A&B's achievements were easy or negligible, but a national bias is all too easy to let creep in...

Best version of this was in the Maritime Museum in Amsterdam where all the paintings and models had very short (polite, useable) captions in English, French and German, and a long one in Dutch. It didn't take long to see that the Dutch captions were a lot about tonking the French navy, the British Navy and certainly the Spanish. Guess they were being diplomatic!

The test is can you name ten aviation records set or held by(say) Russia, Italy, France etc. Responses along the lines of "There aren't any..." go in the happy Mr.Xenophobe bin...

Everybody knows the home team's stats. How much more do you know?

Just a few thoughts.