PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why crash upright?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2006, 11:50
Getoutofmygalley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airline I work for usually does this at approximately 15 minutes before landing. Unfortunately, at times, the cabin crew are on their feet still when the landing gear has been lowered, this is due to the SLF not complying with the instructions that have been issued over the PA (Seat backs upright, arm rests down, window blinds open, tray tables stowed, seat belts fastened - toilets out of use etc).

Perhaps FlyingConsultant is a good passenger and complies with instructions straight away, unfortunately though, the vast majority of passengers I encounter don't comply. If we left it until 5 minutes before landing, we would still have passengers and crew on their feet for touchdown - and whilst I wouldn't mind trying to stay on my feet for a touchdown, I don't really want to do that with passengers onboard in case we had to evacuate (I will save that for a positioning flight or an empty sector )

We really do need around about 15 minutes to secure the cabin because you can guarantee that on every landing you will have several passengers do the following:

1. Attempt to go to the toilet once the seat belt sign comes on (I refer to the seat belt sign as the 'International get up and go to the toilet sign')

2. Argue with crew when you say raise your window blinds (Why do I have to raise my window blind? - So you can tell if the engine is on fire sir or Because after we have crashed, the Fire Brigade will know whether they can safely cut thru the window by you without taking your head off sir)

3. You say loudly to female passengers on 3ABC to put their bags under their seats, then you get to 4ABC and say the same, then 5ABC (This is when I think the passengers must think 'Oh, that can't apply to me, that is for them - but I am ME so my bag doesn't need to go under my seat')

4. Have the asleep passenger who is so drowsy that you need to do almost everything for them (because the poor little dear is too tired to fasten their belts, bring their seats upright etc etc.)

And before anyone wonders, I do love my job and the passengers, its just that some flights really are like the examples above - and it really does make you think that the passengers on these flights SHOULD NOT be allowed out on their own