PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for LHR ATCOs
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2006, 10:14
TATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LastCall
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but the idea came back to me yesterday morning while going around in the BNN hold.
On our assigned frequency we were receiving descent clearances as we worked our way down in the stack. Every so often another controller's voice would come on, this one female, giving a clearance to either us or another aircraft, after which the original controller would resume issuing clearances.
My question is, is it normal to have more than one controller working the same position, or is it a case of training being involved and the trainer interjecting or over-riding the trainee?
My question is asked merely out of curiosity, as it has happened frequently in the past in various LHR sectors.
Whatever the reason, always receive outstanding and professional service from all involved. Thanks.
LC
Heathrow is a special case in the UK with 2 people sharing the North Director position and frequency at busy times. There is one guy giving clearances to leave the hold and vectoring towards final before transfer to Final Director. There is another guy responding to the first call of airraft, managing the stack and deciding on the landing order. So in many ways it is quite normal to hear two voices when on the heathrow north frequency - while in the BNN or LAM holds. Equally is it also likely to hear two voices when in the South Stacks if the ATC operation is bandboxed onto the North Director position.

If it happened on other frequencies and sectors then it is probable that it would be a trainee and his MEntor interjecting.