PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2006, 09:31
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now to a little of the old nitty g!
Please bear in mind that I speak as a layman not a medical practitioner of any sort, not even as a pathologist!
The point where a heavy drinker, social or solitary, might be diagnosed as an alcoholic is an ill defined and well debated one.
There are numerous little hit list check lists on the net to aid in a self assessment of this crossroads. The scoring usual proceeds along the lines of: One yes: You might be.
Two: You are risky.
Three: Uncharted waters.
Four: Dangerous.
Five: Damned.
So then, at what point in this little journey does the individual decide that, left unstopped, his drink problem will become a real handicap to his life and the lives of those around him.

I am not sure that the best way around this conundrum is to seek the advice of those within the family or immediate circle as to whether or not alcohol causes mood swings. This characterisitc of addictive behaviour is really quite important and I believe it is ignored in far too many instances. In very simple terms, is not a mood change a brain swing of sorts, perhaps a synaptic manifestation? If this be so and if alcohol or any substance for that matter causes such mood swings, best avoid it on a rather permanent basis.

I too have had friends who perished at the cup of the demon drink. The last one, a husband and father of great wit, intelligence and humour literally and deliberately moved to a sunny European clime, filled his cellar with booze and then, with singular purpose and intent and notwithstanding the protestations of all around, drowned himself in grog.