PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security checks for crews are getting to the riduculous!
Old 21st Jan 2006, 00:56
madtrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not unreasonable logic Mr. Ryan, but the comments contained here and in numerous previous strings about flagrant, unreasonable and frivolous abuse of power undermine a lot of sincere efforts out there. Few security wonks have your education or espoused sense of purpose. In some large western superpower states (no names, no pack drill), the efforts are so predictably focused, not to mention bound by political correctness, as to undermine your point about randomness, as well as efficacy.
Having addressed the issues you have, now please tackle the one about why pilots are given the treatment at all. Once in the flight deck, pilots have control of the weapon. That punctuation device preceding this sentence is a period.
The earlier proposal by Ron and?or Edna Johns about verifying individuals against operating crew lists would do more to eliminate access confusion than all the checks visited on flight crew by one-dimensional screening. Flight dispatch/crew sched could deal with last minute drafts. (Not to mention the glaring obviousness of an unqualified person in the crew group, as mentioned in an earlier posting)
I discussed the screening issue with a very senior security person a couple years ago, asking why small Swiss Army penknives, specifically, were banned. He told me that somebody could take it away from the pilot and attack him with it. (He had already glaringly ignored the minor issue of the flight deck fire axe, but I figured what the hell, how often does one get the chance to light the meadow on fire?) After manoeuvring around the bit about how they'd know where it is (flight bag, which pocket, if he/she has one) I asked, "How would the miscreant get it away from the pilot?".
"Well they could use karate or something!"
"Then they wouldn't need the $%^@#& penknife, would they now?"
Stony silence. I decided not to tell him about an Israeli test pilot who told me that one of their security types (the highly qualified, trained and deadly ones who come along for the ride) told buddy that he could slit a throat handily with a credit card. (yes, yes, apocryphal, but guess where my money is?)
I think I'm on the list of those who've ratted out the emperor's corrupt tailors. I've been put through special hoops on more than one occasion. It’s the raised eyebrows from the pass list checkers that has me suspicious.
When all of this is packaged with truly appalling airside security for groomers, cleaners and lord knows who, you’ll never overcome the cynicism there amigo until some common sense prevails, and is seen to prevail.
Cynicism after all is environmental, not genetic.