PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMS kit pricing
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2006, 00:42
chuckolamofola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No_7DAD said:
Hopefully you will be able to find a vendor. At the International Helicopter Safety Symposium in Montroal in September we found a graduate student who designed a HUMs for the R-22 for about $500 ($250 for the system and $250 for the two Robinson parts neede to accomplish installation).

Chuck says:
A $500 system is quite a teaser, yet AFAIK he has had no certification testing to DO-160 or DO-178 standards, wait until he adds that, plus pays a DER for installation and STC certification and see what his price comes up to. No doubt, quite a bit less than $850K. But I bet it will be quite a bit more than $500 if and when he gets it certified. I also wonder how much capability it has, does it do RT&B, gear and bearing monitoring? I don't mean these comments to be negative, its just that not many people understand the cost it takes just to certify something simple in today's market.

For an alternative that's affordable but more than $500 check out IAC. http://iac-online.com. Come by booth 2731 at HAI for more details.

Widgen:
Currently no one offers TBO extension (credits) to any of the systems operated in the US. To do so would require the system software certification to be at level B, which significately adds to the development cost, which would push the system up in the $800K catagory. I seriously doubt many will buy an $800K system, as it would take a long time to pay for itself. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Regards,
Chuck Kemp