PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON
Thread: MANSTON
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2006, 14:18
r3500vdp

Don't mean any disrespect to previous posters and the people who look at Manston to revive employment in the region.
But I find it hard to believe that the airport is going to do very well this year. A few F50's per day would not bring the type of revenue to offset the investment in personnel. Even Infratil on their website quotes passenger services as secondary to cargo in their business plan.
Now cargo would mean larger aircraft i.e. larger landing and handling fees as well as employment. However I think the one company the airport was trying to get to return, MK Airlines, has now made some very substantial investments at EBOS and is not coming back, aside perhaps from the occasional charter.
Again quoting the Infratil statements, their focus is on the African / Asian produce market (fruits, fish, etc.). Well other airports are trying just that and having a hard time making ends meet. Also, there's not that many airlines in that niche market (DAS Air Cargo, African International, Saudi Arabian, etc.) and competition would be strong to get them to use Manston as a base.
One avenue of business that could be good would be aircraft maintenance, repair and scrapping in combination with general aviation, similar to what is done at Lasham.