PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMS kit pricing
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 21:38
Helitemp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IHUMS Kit pricing

Well,
what do you need it for? is the first question to answer yourself. Regulations,maintenance credit,????
The earlier HUMS systems were driven by the heavy helio accidents of the late eighties and were not driven by the manufacturers. In europe there were two kits one developed with stewart hughs teledyne and fitted for development to Helikopter Services and British International. The other system was Bristows and Marconi I think. These systems are still in use to day and work on the whole quite well. Manufacturers who did power by the hour were very cagy about HUMS and told operators that transmissions rejected by hums and subsequently found to have no fault substanciated would have a large penalty applied to their account.
As most of the cost of development was born by the Oil companies working in Europe the cost of fit would be difficult to work out. Operators were given a premium on contract prices to provide a hums fitted contract Helio.
The manufacturers now provide a hums option on their products EC have EuroHums and Sikorsky & Bell also. If you want to provide a smooth reliable machine with minimum of stresses on it then its a good tool especially for over water flying.
Hope this of some use to you I work with IHUMS every day on a AS332L and it is a good tool and confidence booster to the mechanic. Sorry I cant help you too much on the possible price of it.