PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan Limit
Thread: Vulcan Limit
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 17:24
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This next bit is really sad.

Setting up for a normal, high level, computed bomb run would require the nav rad to do a radar height finding. The scanner would be tilted down and the radar/nbc height switch on the CU585 set to radar. The aircraft would be flown at a steady height over a level surface. If this was a plain the terrain height would be put on the CU585 target height dial.

The radar height would then be adjusted until first flicker on the neon. The radar/nbc switch would be put back to nbc. The calc 3 height would be checked against the radar height and used if it was correct. It was fed from the pressure system and was corrected for pressure by setting a D-factor.

This height was then used to feed the calc 3 ballistics and also the calc 5 height carriage for the triangle solver to get the range marker to mesure plan range.

If the calc 3 was u/s the radar/nbc switch would be set to radar and the height voltage would be sent to rotate the calc 5 y-axis shaft and set the correct height.

At low level, below 7,200 feet the calc 3 would not calculate the correct ballistics but the difference between plan and slant range was insignificant. I think I am correct in saying that we left the switch on nbc and, as I said earlier, used a calcuated g/s and height for achieve the correct release point.

Nerdish? Sorry about that.