PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entry Clearance Refused
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 16:38
hawk37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have experienced this denial of clearance, I think I can feel your trauma, but I've not been there.

777Fly, your quote:

"the initial actions being to get the speed back to reduce the turn radius, obtaining a descent clearance to avoid opposite traffic" cause one to ponder....

Does ICAO procedures not address this situation? I’m not familiar with international procedures, but I thought the initial clearance is normally to destination, or in rare occasions to some point short.

My point is that in North America one often hears “as filed”, or “flight planned route” to destination. And in the unlikely case where you were only cleared to a point short, and reach your point without further clearance, then hold as per the countries regulations. Quite clear. No altitude change!!

Similarly, I’m told in Europe the initial clearance is usually given to destination, but often no route specified other than a departure procedure. And that in the absence of additional instructions “as filed” is to be assumed. But in no case enter a holding pattern unless specifically instructed to, nor descend. Perhaps this is not true. Can anyone confirm?

If I understand correctly then, certain countries require an entry clearance. Do ICAO procedures require ATC then to provide instructions/procedures to follow (such as a standard hold) and provide protected airspace at these fixes where an entry clearance is not obtained prior to the entry point?

Your need to descend to avoid traffic seems to indicate otherwise.

Such a simply question. Must have a simple answer!

Hawk