PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus
Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 15:05
Dirty Harry 76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look Out Below
Lots of time to gather useful info off the net.......not too many flights during the winter. Lets call it even on the Global thing.......... and Ngenfire I would also be interested to to know if you got fixed up with a job? Hope things worked out for you ?
To expand on my previous post and the original question the progam offered by Astraeus is unique as far as I know where you get a Type Rating and Airline experiance. I would recommend it. It gave me my first job, many others and in fairness AEU have given an even bigger hand up to some graduates by employing them. For someone following the modular route and then the AEU program you will be spending far less than someone on an integrated course to be able to put something on your CV that would make you stand out in the pilot pool. With a 737 Type Rating and 100hrs on type someone somewhere in the world would PROBABLY find you acceptable and be prepared to travel!
The problem is that there is hundreds of boys and girls right now all over Europe with Type Ratings and no time on type. The airlines who maybe 2 or 3 years ago who would have taken a look at such people are now fed up with taking the training risk and expense only to find when they reach 100hrs plus they leave for greener pastures. Many of these airlines are now bonding people to stop the problem. I dont want to get into the moral argument but at least the AEU scheme gives you some airline experiance and proves that you can operate at some capacity on the line. 10 sectors is not enough, save your money and sit on the jumpseat!
Its also worth noting that in recent months I have also met guys\gals who have gone all the way through to buying their own Type Rating (the TRTO took their money) only to find that they are unable to operate the aircraft and show no improvement as they go through a Line Training programme...........then get chopped. This is a rather expensive way to find out you never should have become a pilot, however, inevitable given the lack of screening before people start down the road of becoming a commercial pilot.
Id say that Slow Down's post is a much more realistic picture of the current job market for people with Self Sponsered TR than sickBocks. From what i see today unless you have an offer from an airline, No hrs on type = No job. As Lookoutbelow points out AEU will give you the tools (training and experiance).........and fine tools they are, to find a job but be prepared that if these tools aren't enough you have ALTERNATIVE plans to see things through to the end. There are definately no gaurantees.

Last edited by Dirty Harry 76; 20th Jan 2006 at 11:45.