PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 11:21
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slim Slag

Keep fishing, I love a good debate.

As you will guess from my earlier post, I have a strong interest in the road toll - I am an advocate of moving some of the flying training concepts and medical checks across to motoring. I believe the current enforcement and punitive measures are chasing effects rather than causes and only by better education and emergency procedure training can we improve matters. Interestingly, Victoria has increased speed cameras, radars, and increased penalties - and last years toll was the highest in 3 years.

Anyway, back to your question. The statistics on the road toll are significant for BAC above 0.05. Also in Victoria the loss of licence BAC is 0.05 and above.

I cannot control the actions of my 33 yo son and his mates, nor of some of our guests - but I do have the breathalyser here to enable them to check themselves as needed. I likewise check myself if I ever drink wine or spirits when out because it is not always easy to be certain what ones host has filled into the glass. Over kill you may say but I am by nature a cautious person. Drink spiking is also a problem in some venues.

I have spent the last 3 and a half hours (it's 11 pm) on an AOPA phone conference (bloody dry and a beer may have been nice) and sorry to disappoint any attempts to move me to the drunk tank but that's my third night without alcohol - although I am on my third can of coca cola and now have a craving for sleep (forgot that craving in my earlier post).

But it is meant to be 41 deg on Sunday and I am working up a (moderate) thirst. You did not ask what I drink - the standard here is 4.9% alcohol - my favourite is a Coopers no preservatives mild ale at 3.5% and i am working on a craving for Sunday already.

My neighbours have folowed my example and have their own breatho also. Costs about $180 AUD - much better than being called to identify a visitors body later.

All things in moderation and AFDs a regularity. Tina has still not phoned unfortunately.

Afterthough - I see you have posted as I prepare this. "No advantage in drinking alcohol" is your comment, but that doesn't mean there is a disadvantage in all things in moderation. Not sure of your source but go back to my Human Factors reference. There is also no advantage in eating MacDonalds or fairy floss - but, yum!

And no, I'm not canning LOC for querying what could be an alcohol problem. I'm just suggesting that I do not intend to label LOC as having a problem until LOC can assess the situation and confirm there is or not a dependency.