PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair cancel flights due to pilot shortage?
Old 19th Jan 2006, 11:15
foggydownhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems amazing that Ryanair don't adopt an easyjet style loan to encourage crews to join them. There will always be 200 hour guys willing to pay for a type rating but surely experienced crews should at least be encouraged to apply. I have numerous friends in Ryanair who have been consistently telling me for over a year and a half now that there was going to be a huge shortage of crews on the horizon. One such person last year had his annual leave requests turned down 8 times! It's no wonder they have such a turnover of pilots and thus a shortage of crews and whether they like it or not this has led to the cancellation of flights. Now don't get me wrong. I don't want to get involved in a Ryanair bashing. I actually admire the company for their success. I'm just surprised they couldn't or can't see the problems on their horizon. In my situation, I have an ATPL, what i would call good experience but not 737 rated. I along with plenty of experienced young guys would leave our current company in the morning to join them if they they had some incentive for us to do so i.e bond us. Until they change their policies I think this in going to be an ongoing issue for the forseeable future.