PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 07:33
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall way back when the dreaded Pangapas (PNG Air Pilots Association) were having a wee bit of trouble with Bryan Gray and his mate Bruce The Crafty, of 'The Cloak of Many Colours' fame, over a pay rise for 707 draiva's and other things. The pilot group had Croft's AFAP successor, Len Coysh up from 138 Albert Street, South Melbourne to assist.

After a day or so, attitudes of both parties hardened somewhat and there appeared to be little room left to make headway. After negotiations one day, the pilots reformed at the Ela Beach Hotel to study their plans for the following day over a few and a few more products from the dreaded SP tree!

Tempers were slowly rising when as king Fed I was called to the phone to find Bryan Grey on 'tother end inviting all the pilots up to his manager's residence to partake in a few convivial ales. Needless to say, Val, Bill, Len and they boys followed Sharpie up the hill, willing to do battle if need be.

We found god Bryan with Bruce the Crafty there along with others of Bryan's team, O.P Evans, Paul Bolger, Brian Costello to name a few.

We quickly joined in, standing around the pool, having a few coldies. Needless to say, Sharpie was first in the pool, clothes and all.(Not before losing substantial skin from elbows and knees) Then it was on for young and old, pilots grappling with senior managers who were dragged and tossed in.

Costello and Bolger hid in their car, doors locked and aircon on. We tried to flush them out by stuffing wet socks up ther pipe but reving the engine, these were blown out.

Bruce The Crafty of the Cloak of Many Colours, pleaded not to be throw in fully dressed as he had another appointment later. I quietly waited until he undressed to his briefs and after the troops threw him in, his pile of clothes followed.
What a night. I am quite sure that Bryan's idea of getting us up to his house that day saved the airline and country a substantial amount of money as the verbal agreements made dripping wet, were confirmed in writing the following day.
One another item. Sharpie holds another PNG record that I doubt will ever ever be repeated or broken.
Sharpie was the only member to be voted 'life membership' of PNGAPA! AND,
the only member to be voted out of 'life membership'.