PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 03:46
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slim Slag

I am writing this quickly between phone calls, it may be my last post here.

Realising that the keyword is crave, I listed my cravings. Too long to post but it included as just a few examples (sometimes) anchovies, brussels sprouts, coca cola, chocolate, solitude, company, moussaka, rib eye steak, malted milks (usually in the Outback when they are not available), even sometimes a craving for sex.

I have rung all the help lines. Result - I have both phones ringing at present and an answering machine full of calls to return. As a result, the payment of my phone bill will prevent any spare cash to satisfy any of my cravings so it has worked.

Trouble is I now also have a house full of welfare workers, psychologists and psychiatrists - and they are all craving food and drink. Woe is me. I cannot have a meaningful dialogue with any of them because I am dishing out food and grog and I am waiting for Tina Turner to ring me back about my last mentioned craving request.

Back to business - I really don't think that the odd craving hurts anyone and I am not going to ring drunkline - I have my own breathalyser (not cheap nor the recalibration annually) to ensure I don't merit the "drunk" in drunkline.

From Air Craft - Human Performance and Limitations - There is evidence that a small amount of alcohol has a beneficial effect on the body but more than one or two drinks a day ......

On the motoring side, returning to my theme of all things in moderation, Borkenstein and Crowther in US Traffic Digest and Review found the accident frequency for drivers in the 0.01% to 0.04 BAC level was lower than for drivers with no alcohol. Drivers with BAC of 0.03 were about one-third less likely to cause accidents than alcohol free drivers.

I am not by any means suggesting drink driving or drink driving. Nor am i trying to defend my occasional craving - that's what a craving is all about. If it is a daily thing, the craving becomes instead a habit.

What I am suggesting is my original theme that "all things in moderation" is the go, and those who can maintain all things in moderation have a control of their cravings and habits that indicates pleasure not some disease.

It is funny how people have views at either extreme about alcohol. I'll drink to that!