PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 01:56
red_mafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echopapa
Hi guys
Happy New year and best wishes for one and all. I am just wondering if the present batch of cadets have any news as to how many of the SIA cadets are still training and how many have since been sent home at the various stages of training?
Would like to have an idea as to the attrition rate currently at Seletar and Aust. I trust this will give candidates a better idea of what is at stake and the worst case scenario.
While its always good to be optimistic and positive, I believe a dash of reality will help too.
My sincere congratulations to all the 17 guys going to OBS and those going for the interview. It's going to be a gruelling session.

I'm from batch 96 and one of the fallen ones. I fall out from the Jandakot phase. On average, there'll be 2-3 ppl who'd be chopped from the batch of say 20. At times, there's none. Well, very much depends on the individual and environmental factors. There's so much you can do: you can ace your ground school exams, do lots of mental flying, involve in projects, say lots of prayers.

But there are other small parts that are beyond your control, like weather conditions when you are flying (however this can be overcome if you managed your skills - well, hardly because you're only given 15hrs of flying in Seletar). The other is "human" factor; ie the instructors. Instructors play a huge role in your training. They either make or break your career. If you've good relations with your instructor, you're in for a good ride. Otherwise, it's gonna be turbulent one, be prepared to work exceptionally harder on your EQ and ask other fellow cadets for help.

Your first hurdle is not the exams. Anyone with brains and hardwork can ace them. The first hurdle is your flight in Seletar. That will filter off those who can and cannot fly. Some are born to fly, some can learn to fly. But some of us, just need more time to get the hang of it. 15 hours of flying allocated to you isn't that much. I think right now, it's cut short to 12 hrs. I think they have better instructors in SFC now. The legendary CBS have left. That's one hurdle off.

So for those who'd want to join as pilots, better have a back up plan just in case, for worst case scenario.