PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RE QF demonstrates Worlds Best practice
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2006, 00:31
Woomera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK chaps, the hot rumour is that I am actually Geoff Dixon and Julia Gillard is my love child from a teenage dalliance.

I have a little experience of the pressures generated during the Hadj, but neither do I subscribe to the notion that QF would behave thus.

I received a PM from GGV a poster in the original thread which for it's eminent common sense I hope he does not mind me posting here;

Closed thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see you closed the thread on which I posted last evening. Not having ever before visited your august section of the site I appear to have occasioned some mild confusion and trouble - perhaps you take things more seriously than elsewhere down yonder. However, it does seem to me that closing the thread might have been a bit excessive. I'm not sure what would have been wrong with leaving it open and letting people work the scam out for themselves. That however is your business. Had the thread been open, this is the post that I would have added:

nomorecatering the X-bleed start would not work because of a mag drop in the differential cross-feed valve feed mechanism.

I am almost at a loss for words …. notwithstanding the temptation to hype it up a bit further, I will just observe that to believe my original post requires:

1. Technical ignorance (min speed for the airstart of a B747 engine? Forget ground starting by wind milling).

2. A willingness to believe either that (a) QF crew are so corrupt that several crews over a period of days willingly undertook such an activity in the first place, much less in exchange for “free Duty Free” (!) … or (b) that unproved accusations (about anybody) regarding such rank corruption should be taken seriously, and,

3. That the poster was himself or herself a member of a crew that performed this feat of starting an engine during the T/O run (“…I think I’ll open a bottle of that very duty free now”).

I’m half tempted to apologise. But it does make you think about what people use for evidence and critical thinking when the following unsubstantiated nonsense should go unchallenged:
Quote:
let me just say that I have irrefutable evidence that it is true from a highly reliable source.

or
Quote:
This [accepting a manifest bribe] clearly establishes the veracity of the story.

Now, to be serious, I’ve learned a valuable lesson – if that kind of post can cause confusion on a rumour network then it not hard to see how people get the wrong end of the stick or manipulate stories that are somewhat less obvious. It certainly helps comprehend some of the misunderstandings that arise here on pprune from time to time.

In future I think I will avoid attempts at humour to wind down at the end of a hard day – though I was sober. But in future I think I will instead take to the booze.

This is PPRuNe, where if you make a statement or allegation sooner or later you have to put up or shut up.

Can we get some closure on this or do I have to close it.