PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2006, 19:13
enicalyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retirement

For me the time to take stock was just after retirement. Without the regimen I got slack.

Everyone can reduce the amount they drink but it will be in different ways. My consumption was over 21 units a week so I made a plan to lose weight for our holidays. My wife hardly drinks but she gave up her small amount to make it an alcohol free house. We agreed to each have up to three glasses of wine per week but only if dressed up and out for a meal. Otherwise zilch.

My weight had absolutely ballooned so I could say with fairness that drinking was out of the question until I lost weight. Then that I was doing so well and feeling so much better that I wasn't going to undo good work. Then that I realised that mechanical drinking was not in fact pleasure - but I've time for a lime-and-soda! People got used to that and so did I.

Also I would quiz myself. A man in search of a beer will find 101 ways. ”Shopping? I’ll meet you in the Rissole at one!” Wrong! You'll be there at twelve, she'll be there at twenty to two. "Shopping? I'll visit the barbershop!" Wrong! It's gonna be packed Saturday.

I found active distractions not passive ones. Waiting for a train or ferry? Look for that birthday or anniversary present now even though it's not for ages. Don't sit in a bar with a beer and a crossword. It's one thing to enjoy the crack with a mate before catching the train, just so long as you catch that train and not the next. It's another thing to drink alone or strike up a friendship and be on the last train out.

After a month my weight had really dropped but still with some way to go. I felt cleaner, leaner and hated the idea of backsliding. This is the gruesome bit. I sat down on the internet and faced up to the damage alcohol does. It made sense not to drink on consecutive days! In fact if KO Sally could keep it to 5-10 units per week why not me?

What I consume now I enjoy. I have set limits and monitor progress. People know where they stand and if no-one laughs at my funny jokes it is because they were never funny in the first place. Most importantly Mrs "E" hasn't seen me go downhill, in fact I am in better nick all round which is all the encouragement I need.

But let me tell you this. The first six months after retirement were pretty grim. I have found work since, good work and pro-rata not flat-out charlie. We do sail our boat and are working her up for the Cape and St Helena. It's a balance this post 55-yr employment, one my employer approves and I can work from home. I got a glimpse of another me, a warning glimpse I intend to heed. Alcohol dependence can happen to anybody and in my case there is no fool like an old fool. 5-10 units still poses a risk and the cleanest looking blood test are no indicator of the fatigue cracks and delaminations within. I can't believe how quickly you can go ratsh*t when on the beach after a lifetime's flying.