PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Airways
Thread: Eastern Airways
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2006, 17:28
Dan 98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imagine this, you are out with some friends and one of them starts telling you his / her plans to train for their dream job in I.T / Sales / Engineering etc... going to cost me over £50k, may take over 2 years because i'm going to do whilst i'm in my other full time job as i have a mortgage, wife, children. But it will all be worth it in the end, to get to where i want to go.

At the end when I'm qualified after passing 14 exams to test whether i have the capacity to learn, and 2 big practical tests ( CPL / IR / Multi ) to see if i have the ability to do the job ( to fly ) / I can apply for jobs. But i might have to give up my current job before i have another, to go on a 3 week course with no guarantee of getting the job!!!! And pay for an assesment to. You get the picture, you would be sat there thinking this person is crazy, committed but god thats a lot of sacrifice to get that dream.

And i think thats where the problem starts, for most it's a dream to one day fly and get paid, but it is in the long and short of it still a job hopefully one you will enjoy but all the same needs to pay the mortgage / bills / food etc...Unless there are people who will do it for free forever. A seperate thread probably!!

I'm not moaning about the sacrifices, i have come into this with my eyes WIDE open, i'm leaving an established career, i have a house which we're selling, a wife and a 4 year old, a familiar story I'm sure.

But there is no other industry i can think of or am aware of that would treat people like this or get away with it. I guess the point is in my ramblings for which i apologise is this, everyone's circumstances are different, but you don't or shouldn't have to be exploited to get to where you want to be. I don't think I'll be owed a job when i finish and I'll bang on doors and anything else to get that first break, I would even consider paying a TR if i had a [B][B]guaranteed job at the end of it, but there comes a point where personal pride comes into it, remember that.
Cheers

Dan