PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2006, 10:47
P-T-Gamekeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been following this with interest for a while, as I will be a Nigel next month. I find the comparisons with lawyers interesting, as Mrs P-T-G is a lawyer in a big London law firm, whose renumeration package is up there with the best.
1. Pensions
The BARP is not great, but having crunched the numbers, I come up with a pension of @£35000 at 60. The company contribution from my wifes firm is less than that on BARP, so all the "Fantastic Lawyer Pension" stuff is tripe.
2. Lifestyle
She leaves the house at 7.30 and returns between 7 & 9 every night, working weekends when required. She is expected to work unpaid overtime when required by the company, and not doing so would be career ending. She is constantly knackered. and would swap for my lifestyle in a second.
3. Strike
Striking should be a weapon of desperation, not a stick to beat employers with. I want to have a job with BA for the foreseeable future, and a strike ridden airline will not be around then. This applies to managers as well, who need not to push people into corners where they feel they have no other choice.

All in all, I am joining BA with my eyes wide open. Yes, the pension is a big issue, but to the "You knew the deal when you joined" brigade, I was not able to negotiate my own T's & C's, as that is down to Balpa. The company has issues, but in my view, it is still the best deal in the marketplace. Would I strike over the pension? Probably not, if the changes requested were fair and balanced.