PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost in Alcohol.....?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2006, 09:42
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slim Slag

Point of order. It was I, not LOC who enjoys a beer after a 43 deg day. I do not recollect suggesting it eased my stress level.

And it is I who suggests that all things in moderation is an excellent philosophy. My parents are 87 and 92, still living in their own home and a tribute to that philosophy.

Today I had a mate drop in who has aged prematurely with alzheimers equivalent due to alcohol abuse. He represents the other extreme.

I am unaware of any studies indicating that alcohol in moderation, with alcohol free days included regularly in one's calendar, is a sign of either alcoholism or has been proven harmful.

In fact, my regular blood tests following a white tail spider bite treated with (forgive spelling oh medicos) flucloxicillin that has given some long term side effects indicate that my moderate alcohol intake for enjoyment - not compulsion - are having no adverse effects on organs etc.

People can become very judgemental about alcohol. A purist would not take many cough mixtures if they read the label (must be why I was addicted to Waterbury's - I think - cough syrup as a kid?)