PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2006, 18:19
Bucking Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStar
Just imagine if your GP only worked 900 hours a year max? My brother is a doctor in London, he often works 70hrs a week, plus he is on call and is paid a pittance compared to me and all I do is, lets be honest now, enjoy a few decents night stops and fill in the crossword at FL370.
I'm not happy about the pension situation, but many BA FC choose to have the pension and hours of a doctor or lawyer??
What you've got to appreciate is that there is a hierarchy in all professions. If your brother is working those hours I guess he's a junior house man (can't remember exact title?), but his hours and pay doesn't compare to my ex's brother who is one of the top surgeons (knees and hips) in the North East. Likewise a lawyer working out of grotty basement under a bookmakers in Peckham won't be earning the same as the Senior Partner for Mergers in Norton Rose/Linklaters etc.

In aviation this heirarchy exists with the self improver hour builder/insrtuctor at one end and the BA long haul training Capt at the other end. The thing I don't understand is that within aviation there are so many green eyed monsters staring up the food chain and mouthing off - what they should be doing is climbing the branches and be happy that the BA pilots are not contributing to the downward pressure on Ts and Cs on our profession - that's the job of the Accountants.

BB