PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student loan.................or not?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2002, 14:13
pjm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skylane.. .If I had my time again, I would not have borrowed money to finance my career. I also went one lesson week by week for the first 12 months and agree that you do not progress as quickly for your money. The biggest complication I found with borrowing the money, was that once going north, it was hard to live cheaply with a loan haging around my neck. I had to have a 'regular' non-flying job, and it was hard to take up any casual flying work if the hours clashed. Try paying for twin endorsements, or ATPLs when you are living hand-to-loan-to mouth.. .My suggestion?. .Move back in with your parents, sell your nice car( and buy a reliable bomb), sell anything you don't really need for the next 5 years, and save in blocks. Have two jobs, and study your theory whilst you are saving. (it will keep you keen) Once you have $10k do your privates, next $15k your commercial, next $15k MEIFR or INSTR AND ATPL. . .Then, you can go north or instruct, live on the smell of an oily rag, and be available when that first casual charter comes up. You'll have heaps of company - there will always be a heap of other pilots doing the same thing, and have one of the best times of you life.. .Good luck, . .. .NTLBD