PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan Limit
Thread: Vulcan Limit
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2006, 16:20
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yellow Sun, my log book tells a different tale.

On 5 May 64 I was banged to 560 for 15 secs. The following year, just in case I had forgotten what fun it was AMTC did it again but to 520 for 15 seconds. And again the following Jul for good measure.

Th enext time I had the pleasure of practice dying was with the F4 regulator to 48k for a mere 3 seconds.

Buggers hadn't finished as they banged me from 25k to 45k for the Nimrod in 1975.

These were 'true' pressures and one presumes that this is the same pressure one would have experienced for real at, say 500, if the lid blew with aerodynamic suck.

Thinking about it, I think that aerodynamic suck was probably over played. If we had had to bail out we would have jumped before the lid was blown off. Possibly the open door might have created suck but the effect would have been of very short duration.

Similarly when the pilots blew the lid a double bang would follow soon after. The chances of the lid coming off? It never did and when the Victor crew tried it by accident it didn't come off dspite their best efforts.

HTN, I will have to think about low level bombing tonight - like counting sheep.