Thread: Window shutters
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 18:58
flyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Window shutters

jettesen,

yes I am crew

Frankly I don't see it in terms of "having the right to question" etc. Of course that, formally speaking, they have no right. But in terms of what makes your working life easier, and your work excellent, it's in my opinion a good move to answer. Yes, some people are fussy. If you have kids you'll know there is always one, THE "why" one. Always asks why. But a part of our job is to deal with people, so we'll have to deal with the "why" pax as well. And any other kind of diffficult pax. Our goal, then, will be of finding a way of being the most effective. The most effective, in our case, is (1) to have a happy pax (commercially good) that (2) does what he's asked to do (good in terms of Safety), (3) without fussing too much (that's good for us ). In our case we are at disadvantage, because we know we already have a fussy pax. What is the best way to achieve my goal of having 1, 2 and 3 at the same time?
The most important thing, is to be calm and detached. Not to feel "personally" involved in the situatuion. It helps to evaluate better the most effective moves (in martial arts, they call it mu shin). And it is very difficult for someone to remain aggressive/angry if you don't "follow" him. Then reply calmly, according to the situation, but showing that you are taking into consideration the problem the pax is exposing (yeah, I know, sometimes it is not easy ). If, like in our case, the pax is asking the reason why he should comply with an order, if he gets a plausible explanation why he should (and that means showing that you are taking him as a person, and his concerns, seriously), 99% of the cases he'll stop fussing. If he's a real, 100% pure gold pain in the neck and keep fussing, if you keep your cool you'll have the support of the other pax if things turn nasty.
In my profesional life I've found very useful the fact of being able to remain calm, as if forming a shield between you and the negativity some people throw at you. It's our primary tool when dealing with the species Homo Passenger.

Ah, and one last things. As soon as we get through the A/C door, something happens and we drop a point or two of IQ . It helps sometimes to refocus on the fact that pax are people. Your father is a pax, your mother is a pax, your sister is. You are. We have all been at some point someone else's pax. So next time you feel a snappy reply forming in your throat, think that it could be your Dad (not in those striped shorts!!! ), and how you'd like to see him treated.
When you react, you are being controlled by the situation, and achieving neither 1, 2 nor 3.
When you respond, you are dealing with it. You are in control and will end up having 1, 2 and 3, and chances are you'll also end the day in a good mood