PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security checks for crews are getting to the riduculous!
Old 16th Jan 2006, 17:10
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Security checks for crews are getting to the riduculous!

bjcc, you are reading what you want to read in my post.
Of course we need security, but it need not be any different from what it was prior to 9/11. That level was adequate to stop the major problems with guns, knives etc. However now, as then, only 75 percent of guns are being found according to TSA records, and only 40 percent of knives, so really, come on, what use is it? No matter how onerous the security is, they will not get them all and the terrorist only has to win one; we have to win them all! The ramp up in security is not working, it is not worth the extra effort, we are not getting value for our money, it should be rolled back to a more reasonable, acceptable level, since it has other detrimental effects on passenger confidence, crew patience and in fact the very survival of the industry. "Security" is a bigger problem now than the safety it was meant to provide.
In the 70s and 80s, yes, there were problems, but they were localised and in those countries, with obvious official support, guns and explosives were provided. The same can happen now, since the last way they would want to bring weapons on board would be through the passenger security lines. Come, on, think about it. Much more easy to bring them in as part of the airplane's kit via the back door, which is, despite some claims, porous and will remain so since examining every mechanic's tool box, or catering box etc, would shut down any major airport and there is no equipment for detecting explosives on the fly. In any case, we face different dangers now and need different ways to protect ourselves. Making crew and passengers criminals is NOT the way to do it. Pandering to the fearful is window dressing and that is all it is.
I accept that some places will need enhanced security, such as Israel, but all WE need is enough of an effort to thwart the dangers we practically face. I would be all for what is happening now, if it worked, but IT DOES NOT.
Thus, accept the fact that they WILL get on board, and lets put our efforts to where they should be focused: The airplanes.