PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL skills test
Thread: CPL skills test
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 17:00
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: CPL skills test

I failed my first test for a very stupid reason (in retrospect)

I'd completed the flight plan, checked the aircraft, gave the examiner the safety briefing, all those good things as briefed by my instructor. HOWEVER, as we were lining up and I'd just done the mental arithmetic against the question about 'what's our crosswind component?' I suddenly realised that I'd forgotten to sign the tech log. I then spent the takeoff and climbout convinced that he was going to say at any second 'you've failed because the flight's illegal 'cos you haven't signed for the aircraft'. That really ruined my concentration and after the first segment I just gave up, really, and asked for the test to be terminated. Of course the examiner hadn't even noticed I hadn't signed the tech log and I could have carried on with the test.

The lesson is, stick to what you've been taught, your instructor wants you to pass. If you miss something, leave it behind you, wipe it from your mind and get on with the next thing. Pass, partial of fail, you'll get a very valuable de-brief at the end of it all.

My second go couldn't have been more different. Not only did I pass, but I had a thoroughly enjoyable flight that though it was 17 years ago, I still remember well.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
The Odd One