PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check-in Desk Scales?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 14:55
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Check-in Desk Scales?

Apologies for being thick, but I just don't get this line of argument? You purchase a ticket from an airline company that entitles you to a seat and a fixed amount of weight for baggage. If you want an enhanced seat, you pay for it: If you want to take additional baggage weight you pay for it. If you do not wish to pay for it, then do not take the extra weight. Airlines have a right, like any other business, to attempt to make the most profitable use of their assets. What I never understand is why airlines are expected to behave differently to other businesses with whom we all deal? There is another thread in this forum asking about how to best obtain an upgrade that hasn't been paid for: Here we have a proposal to share baggage weight with unknown third parties, apparently in the expectation that the airlines should be expected to connive in depriving themselves of revenue while simultaneously reducing the efficiency of their own check-in staff.

The waters always get muddied because there is a core of users in this forum who are very high mileage frequent flyers, who regularly travel a great deal in First & Business class. These people are absolutely entitled to expect enhanced services from airlines on the basis of their experience. Many of us however, do nothing like that kind of mileage, not even at a corporate level. So - we pay our money, we keep within the baggage weight, we sit in the seat assigned, in the class of travel paid for and then we get off at the other end - it really doesn't seem to be that complicated?

P.S. I'm sorry - I'm revising for the annual safety exam (SEP) and in a very bad mood!!!

P.P.S. Also - if the scales are mis-calibrated, then clearly that is a very bad thing: I'm now going to lie down for a bit