PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regional Pressures
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 12:04
Pierre Argh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Regional Pressures

I am aware of "Clutch QNH" but cannot recall a single incidence where a dozen or so independant minor airfields, micro-light landing strips etc, in the UK over say, a 40nms radius area have co-operated in this manner... Bookworm, can you enlighten me?

Suppose you departed from Minor Airfield A, remain in the vacinity of A but call me at Major airfield B, 25nms away, for a FIS... if you wish to remain on QNH(A) how would you expect me to be able to update you on pressure changes? Or you might insist on using my QNH, the pressure differential over 25nms might not be great, but may not be insignificant? Let's take this a step further...

If you're VMC... 2500ft QNH(1013mbs) is the same as 2410ft RPS (1010mbs) and makes little difference to the price of fish, but then you go IMC and there is high ground and obstructions around... it seems to me obvious which is the safer setting to use and therefore what pressure I will pass as a norm to transiting aircraft... Just because the majority do something different doesn't make it right, or the best solution? But then I'm just the one sat on the ground trying to help?