PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground School Exam Questions & Question Banks
Old 16th Jan 2006, 09:04
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ATPL question bank full of errors

The Italian Question Bank, whilst being quite useful does contain many errors throughout the subjects.

Never ever select the wrong answer based upon what you saw in the Italian "feedback" that you used. The IAA have probably recognised that there was an error in the question / answer and will have rectified it.

Always work out the answers, deduce which answer you think is right based upon your knowledge of the subject, NOT what the Italian feedback suggested is the correct answer (which is more often than not incorrect).

I doubt you'd be able to contest a question on the basis of, "but it said it was option (C) in the Italian Feedback version". In fact I'd put money on the IAA/CAA throwing it back in your face on that basis.

As for the question, I believe it is option A - Variation is 21W.

Compass Heading - 2 Degrees of Westerly Deviation = 193 Magnetic Heading.
True Track = 180 - 8 Degrees of Right Drift = 172 Degrees True Heading.

193 Degrees Magnetic Heading - 172 Degrees True Heading = 21 Degrees difference and because the Magnetic Heading is greater than the True Heading then the Variation must be westerly. So variation = 21 degrees Westerly.

I used to have problems with Deviation when given with a - or a + isntead of W or E. If its a minus sign then it is a westerly deviation (I believe). If a plus then an easterly deviation. This used to mess my calculations up - I might be wrong though as its been a while since I sat the exam and my have got confused myself since then.