PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing EK thread?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 08:16
BlueEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Missing EK thread?

As I am awake and able to I'll answer, but I am not a Mod on this forum. The thread was deleted by critical winge who started the thread.
obfuscation - "We are awaiting a cogent explanation as I don't believe any sort of censorship will be acceptable..." Wouldn't it indeed! You have a lot to learn about PPRuNe!

Herewith a copy of a post made by Danny, who owns the BB, for your consideration,

" Re: PPRuNe Security...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year is PPRuNe's 10th anniversary and for the last decade we have been a sounding board for aircrew worldwide. Our reputation stands on allowing our members to post without fear of exposure.

It is true that anyone can be traced from an IP address but it is not quite so simple. Firstly they would need to convince a judge that he needs to issue a court order for me to give up an IP address in the first place. Once someone has that IP address they then need to convince a judge to issue a court order to get the ISP to go through their logs and match the IP address to a known user or in the case of someone with a dynamic IP address, the user who logged on at precisely that time. Only then could you use an IP address to identify someone.

So, the fact that IP addresses are logged, we still need a court order to provide the IP address in the first place and unless you are working for HMG and one of the security services, I doubt you're going to convince a judge that you deserve the court order in the first place.

Of course, if you are careless and use a username that gives your identity away or you post something that gives you away then PPRuNe can't be held responsible. There are a few sad people who spend their time trying to work out the identity of posters because of their own insecurities, even going to the extent of trying to match roster patters to posting patterns. If you work for a company that employs those methods and you are very insecure about it then perhaps you should consider moving to somewhere where your right to criticise is protected.

What some people fail to understand is that 'free speech' is not 'free'. You are free to criticise but not to abuse or slander. it is up to the individual to take that on board, digest it and apply common sense. However, we here at PPRuNe reserve the right to edit and delete where necessary to protect ourselves from eejits who fail to understand the concept of 'free speech'.

Last edited by BlueEagle; 16th Jan 2006 at 08:42.