PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swanwick ATC frequencies (LACC)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 07:15
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Swanwick ATC frequencies (LACC)

Methinks others will recall previous postings from this gent.... However..

<I wanted to get an radio amateurs license and I believe this is free for under 16s or 18s? Anyone got a link to the ofcom page with that? I take it that once I get the license I can listen to ATC?>

I have been a Licenced Radio Amateur for 30 years. Amateur Licences cost £15 per year - they are not free to anyone so far as I am aware and it is necessary to study and take exams for each class of licence. I suggest you contact the Radio Society of Great Britain for more information (www.rsgb.org). However, it sounds like you only want to obtain such a licence for purposes other than for which it intended so I suggest you forget it.

NO licence you can obtain will authorise you to listen to ATC communications unless, for example, you are training to be a pilot. NO licence is available to any member of the general public to listen to ATC comms. Licenced pilots, licenced air traffic controllers and other such professionals are not permitted to listen to ATC comms whilst they are not working. Full Stop.