PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is RT in ME so bad
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 05:04
Ali Bin Somewhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why is RT in ME so bad

I understand that fatigue is a big issue. ATC also has the same problem with max time at the console, understaffed for alot of shifts, poor equipment etc etc and this is compounded by haveing to chase for standard readbacks that are part of AIP and all pilot training.

Just a few things to consider...

With the 83 "chase ups" the other night each of exchanges should have been 2 transmissions (30 sec tops) but the majority were about 6 (about 2 min). one of the longest took 3-4min to find out if the a/c had heard the frequency change. May not sound like much but when there are 1200+ a/c entering your airspace every day (or 1 every 1.2 min) and they are not spread evenly due to the pleasures of cluster scheduling, that takes up ALOT of time at critical moments when we should be concentateing on more important tasks.

We are responsible for our own actions. So when 2 a/c have a break down of seperation, or god forbid hit, at the subsequent investigation or court of enquiry "I was fatigued" wont cut it. Yes the board will get there and say "operator/atc manager must ensure that there are more break for staff so they are not fatigued", but when all the holes in the swiss cheese line up you will still be dead and I'll still be in jail all because we were "too fatigued" to get or give a readback.