PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO to FAA ATP - TSA & Visa
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2006, 00:41
Just Boxes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ICAO to FAA ATP - TSA & Visa

Ping Pong - are you going to be receiving flight training, because as I understand the TSA regs, you don't need a visa, or background check unless you will be undergoing flight training. Hard to beleive but it is perfectly legal to enter the country with a Visa Waiver (that's your 'visa'). With the exception of a few, flight schools have always struggled with how to treat foreigners, and now with the required visa and TSA checks for most training, they charge an administration fee (usually the cost of the visa/check again). If you need a referral to a flight school savvy in this, and run by a European, I'd be happy to oblige.

I'm a Brit flying cargo under Part 135, and just recently got my ATP using the company aircraft. I didn't receive any flight training, and you don't need an endorsement to take the written or the practical test - both are based on experience.

If you feel you need to fly with an instructor, take them up as a safety pilot as that will probably save you a whole ton of hassle, and before anyone lambasts this idea, it is perfectly legal.