PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair B738 loss of situational awareness and terrain clearance 07/09/05
Old 16th Jan 2006, 00:41
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Report: Pilot "froze" mid flight

Point taken Cmdr Fowler. The question is, would Ryanair have given leave or not? To be fair to Ryanair, I suspect they may have given leave if they were aware, but we do not know the reason the Captain decided not to tell Ryanair.

SNAM, the problem that we have is that it is very easy to write fine words in operations manuals. But does the company internal culture operate within the letter and spirit of what's in the book???

I have personal first hand expereince of working for the largest oil company in the world. I had reams of manuals on anything from company business ethics to maintaining oil terminal equipment, fire fighting, safety and so on. You name it, the company had a manual on how to do it the company way.

There was only one problem. The internal company culture was not into manuals, it was into money.

As in: "Sir I've discovered we are dumping polluted rubbish illegally and in contravention to the corporate ethics guidelines as well!" "Listen sunfish, do you want to keep your job? Shut the $%34 up!"".

The idea was that you shut up, did what you could and hoped you would be promoted before anything happened on your watch.

Read about the Esso Longford disaster. Esso immediately blamed the (mostly dead) plant operators for the explosion, and they sounded exactly like a certain Mr. Camel when they did so.

Just bear in mind that if (perish the thought) there is an accident, the proximate cause of which is fatigue or pilot error, Mr. Camel will be on this website blaming you for it if that is possible.