PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security checks for crews are getting to the riduculous!
Old 15th Jan 2006, 22:23
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Security checks for crews are getting to the riduculous!

boofhead

I'm afraid you are very wrong.

'Rarely does a terrorist use a real weapon to take over an airplane'

Obviously you don't remember the 70's. It may come as a suprise to many Americans, but terrorism has been about for a very long time. It did not start on 9/11.

Dawsons field? Enterbbe? Mogaditou? (excuse spelling!!!) None of those used real weapons? Oh yes they did!

Security in the US (having been through it long before 9/11) was a joke, and in no way compared to Europe, who had suffered from terrorist porblems for years.

Again, it may come as a suprise, but some of the items used on 9/11 would never have been allowed on a flight in Europe. However the US commonly allowed those items to be carried.

Quote:

"We hear about bad guys getting onto airplanes, but do we ever hear about them being stopped and apprehended at the security checkpoint?"

Yes we do, it was big news in the UK in the mid 80's, probably why it's not been tried since.

As for putting a Osi Bin Liner look alike in the queue and him being ignored? Well, yes, but the function is not the person it's what they are taking through.

I's been pointed out that there are reasons why crew are screened, if you don't wish to accept those, thats your affair. In the meantime, I'll feel a bit better if something is done, rather than nothing.

I do agree that whatever is done, nothing is 100%. But by having something in place it may deter an attack, and is infinatly better than nothing.