PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 89 Dispute is now over
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2002, 18:20
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dogimed, ask your old POW mate if he’s still with us whether his commendable sense of forgiveness extends to his fellow POWS who cheated their mates out of food rations by using doctored scales and informed on fellow prisoners to the Japanese for extra rations or favoured treatment, sometimes resulting in the deaths of their fellow countrymen. . .. .Or of the not so small number of Australian officers who, at the end of the war, still had their full issue of kit and lived relatively comfortably in the officers’ lines while some of their men didn’t even have a pair of shorts to wear – they got by with lap-laps. We Australians like to ignore some unpalatable truths in our maintenance of the ANZAC legend, but what I’ve mentioned above happened. My reference? ‘Changi Samauri’, by Penrod Deane and James Clavell’s classic ‘King Rat’. . .. .Those ‘not so bronzed’ ANZACs did pretty unspeakable things for their own advantage and to the detriment of their mates, as a small proportion of any group will do when faced with a desperate situation. But except for the Indians who joined Bose’s puppet Indian National Army under the Japanese, I don’t know of any other POWs in the Pacific theatre who donned the uniform of the Japanese and took up arms against their former comrades. . .. .Unlike the ‘heroes’ of 47 years later that we’re talking about here.. . . . <small>[ 04 March 2002, 03:32: Message edited by: Wiley ]</small>