PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2006, 14:34
rotorboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tuna spotting in Guam

7k a month, wow that must have been in the 80's

First off, you should do a search on fishspotting on this fourm. You will find a bunch of really good inforamtion.
2) be weary of the advice Fish boy has given you. Just from his posts, I doubt he spent much time on the boats in the Western Pacific.

Be very very careful of the mentioned operator in Guam. Talk to anyone who has spent some time on the boats and you will learn why. There is another operator in Guam who I would talk to if you are really interested.

Most of the tuna fleet in the western pacific are using the 500c (not OH6a) and c-20's. Hansen may have one or two OH6's.

Any boat out of Guam will be an Asian boat, Korean of Taiwanese. Expect to loose 20+ pounds. Food will be rough, make your employer give you some cash , buy a rubbermaid roughtote with a padlock and get some peanutbuttter, steaks and frozen chicken. It will keep you sane. MOney will be flat rate of 3500-4000 a month, with a year contract. If you dont last a year, dont expect to get your ticket home or your last paycheck. Hansen will give you a months pay if you stay for the entire time.

I wouldnt bother going to Guam,it is an expensive place to be. Call bug the operators, have your passport ready , the proabilit is that the boat will be be somewhere other than Guam when the pilot walk off.

read the perivous thread and then come back with questions.. I suggest you do this before posting in the future.

Good luck. I proably would never do a trip again, but looking back on it it was an amazing life experience. I got to places most people have never heard of or can spell. I would not be in the position I am in today if I had nver gone out on the boats.

RB