PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AH-64 Apache
Thread: AH-64 Apache
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2006, 12:03
Sioux4D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: apache pilots required

I thought that only one squadron (8 aircraft) had been declared as fully operational, with 9 reg AAC based at Dishforth.

Alot of the problems stem from the huge learning curve that is required to learn the raft of complex Avionics (both aircraft and mission systems) on the platform. As faced with conversion from the intuitive analogue systems of the likes of a gazelle or the single squirrel to a fuly integrated glass cockpit and mission suite, can be some what daunting.

The ground school training that is required to learn the capabilities and operation of the systes on board is extensive. This coupled with the fact that the systems and the aircraft's system processors (the heart of the aircraft) are being constantly updated and developed, makes the job that much harder. Finally add the fact that actual time in aircraft is like gold-dust, you can see that a new Apache pilot's task is enormous.

Don't get me wrong the AAC training is superb, and the Apache pilots (in my humble experience) are constantly proving to be extremely capable and intelligent. The simple fact is that the UK MOD just doesn't have enough money to fulfill the old adage that "Practise makes perfect".

Finally I think that the Army's philosophy that you are an Officer first and a Pilot second (unlike in the RAF and RN were pilots fly for the majority of their career) is proving to be detrimental in the case of the Apache. Seeing as experienced AH pilots are few and far between you would have thought it advisable to keep any fully trained assets current.

Apologies if any of my opinions prove controversial.

Sioux4D