PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 14th Jan 2006, 18:12
wordyuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Advice to become a pilot

Nevs,

Have you not considered going to university to do an aviation degree? Im am in my third year at the University of Leeds doing Aviation technology with pilot studies. I gained my PPL last year and it only cost me £2400 (the university pay the rest), this is around half of the normal price in the UK. I now have over 60 hours in the PA28 and the 152.

When I complete my degree in May I will be going straight to Jerez to hopefully gain my fATPL. This will mean I will have my student debts of around 12K and will then take out the huge loan needed to pay for the ATPL training. All in all, my total debts will amount up to around 80K, but at the end of the day, all I have ever wanted to do is be a pilot. Im sure alot of you will think I am being quite naive but I would rather be 80K in debt and be doing what iv always wanted to do than be in no debt doing another job!

It may seem that the aviation degree is quite specific, and you could not get many other jobs if you failed to become an airline pilot. However, the course includes large chunks of engineering, airline economics and aircraft maintenance, which means you are well qualified for a huge range of jobs within the aviation industry.

The best thing about it is that the rest of the modules I have taken are drawn directly from ATPL manuals, things like advanced navigation, flight procedures and planning, communications, crew resource management, advanced avionics, aircraft general knowledge, which im sure will make my ground studies in Jerez much easier.

Anyway, just thought id let you know as the degree would enable you to complete your PPL and get some hours in your log book.

Last edited by wordyuk; 14th Jan 2006 at 18:28.