PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Police
Thread: RAF Police
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2006, 11:49
Lyneham Lad

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: RAF Police

I cannot comment on the ordinary SAC/Acting Cpl/Unpaid Plod as I somehow avoided run-in's with them (a life of undetected crime? no, not really). However, I can relate one particular unpleasant experience with the SIB.......
To set the scene:-
Scampton early 1966, Blue Steel Vulcans, height of the Cold War etc etc. I am a fairly fresh out of training SAC Airframe Mech working on E Dispersal. There are lots of Micks and Mickey Finns, loads of overtime (not at all unusual to go in for the 5.00pm start of night shift and stiil be there at 8.00am when the day shift come back in). Being my first posting after training I accept all this as the norm but there are lots of mutterings amongst the older, married guys, there is a long list of people trying to leave the Service and morale is at a very low level......so a fun place, particularly as a Linie in the depths of a Lincolnshire winter. For me, sunshine beckons as I've been post to sunny Seletar (for the youngsters, that was in Singapore) and I've just done my last day shift before starting clearing.
That evening, sitting on my bed in the Block (no money, otherwise I'd have been in the Cheltenham Arms), two Plods come in and demand I immediately go with them to E Dispersal, no mention of why and we proceed in grim silence. Once at the dispersal I am taken into an office for a one-to-one interview with a Flt Sgt from SIB. It is no exaggeration to say it was like the movies, bright light in face and accusations bellowed at me. "We know you did it, so you might as well confess now." Did what? "Come on, you did it and we know why." er, excuse me, what am I supposed to have done? "We have the tools that have been used and your fingerprints are on them" Don't recall anyone taking my prints. By now somewhat alarmed and confused by this onslaught I ask again - just what is all this about, what am I accused of and why? After much more bellowing and threats, it is revealed that someone had sabotaged a kite by cutting through the electrical cables at the back of the AEO's panel. Why accuse me? Well, the SIB are claiming that I had the opportunity (I'd done the last A/F on the aircraft) and had the perfect motive...........to get out of being posted to Singapore.............