PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2006, 10:23
Capetonian1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CAA and lens implants

Originally Posted by lepremier
I had "new lenses" put in both eyes just about a year ago primarily to repair cataract damage (years of sun abuse). I had mine done here in Singapore and although my licence still has a use of glasses clause, I have not had to wear them since my op.
I am very happy with the results but you must get "good" advice first.
Remember that the intra-ocular lenses (IOL's) implanted in the eyes after cataract surgery (removal of the lens nucleus and cortex) are placed into the "empty" original lens capsule that surrounded the original crystaline lens in the eye.

The implantable lenses referred to in terms of refractive surgery are very different. The original crystalline lens in the eye is not removed and the implantable lens is placed inside the eye, in addition to the original lens.

The procedure and results for operations to implant IOL's for cataract surgery are well established with very good and prectable success rates. However, the procedure for lens implants for refractive surgery is still developing, and as pointed out correctly in a previous post "reversible is not the same as popping a contact lens in and out". As with any form of eye surgery, the possibility of some complications does exist.