PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Imminent strike at RAF Shawbury?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2006, 09:58
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
Re: Imminent strike at RAF Shawbury?

" ShyT, there are at least 2 Nigels who returned to Shy from the BA front line. One ex-A320 and one ex CRJ. For both it was time with family and quality of life that 'encouraged' their decision. You see there is more to life than money. In the case of the A320 chap, BA moving A320 from BHX to LHR and the associated nause of travelling at god forsaken hours meant that the salary drop was worth it. CRJ mate returned to uniform, albeit not the one he left! Jetset does not suit everybody all of the time.[/QUOTE]

I left the military for the same reasons. I was fortunate enough to gain immediate rotary employment overseas at a much higher salary. When I decided to return to UK I took a (very) large drop in salary but it was quality of life that counted. I still earn considerably more than these chaps, despite some of them being better QHIs than I ever was or could be. BTW, The BALPA salary figures I mentioned are for rotary pilots; they are nothing to do with the airlines.

Some folk on this site need to take of their military blinkers and look outside the frame a little. By trying to devalue the work that these chaps do, they also belittle themselves. The implication that these highly experienced pilots might be incapable of obtaining a CAA licence and doing another job for more return is ridiculous.

I ask the question again: If these chaps leave DHFS, (and some of them will) WHO is going to replace them?