PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Police
Thread: RAF Police
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2006, 09:12
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: RAF Police

Plebby,
In contrast to your bike, my lawn mower was stolen from my house while I was having the side gate replaced.

Civpol located the lawn mower 2 days BEFORE I noticed it had gone and I got it back the day after. I had already initiated an insurance claim. As far as CID was concerned I could have my cake and eat it; they were not bothered with the potential insurance fraud. Tempting but I wasn't.

Going on to Ivrtwr, I have, at times (most), the greatest admiration of the trade doing a job inspite of the obvious hostility that is apparent. May I offer a note of caution however and it is how different people are treated.

On occasion at a far northern base I was in the back of one of our linneys landrovers. We were pulled over on the peritrack and the plod accused the airman of speeding. To the best of my observation he had been driving at a reasonable speed.

I asked the RAFP what the problem was but he ignored me and continued to address the SAC driver. Despite being the senior person in the vehicle, and a fair target, the plod was intent on nailing the airman.

"What speed were you doing" About 50 on the speedo.

"What's the limit" 30 mph

"Speeding then were you" No cpl, 50 kph.

"OK smart ass, what does it say in mph" No idea cpl, the speedo is only in kph.

DOH

The plod was well out of order and you can add all the adjectives you like that have been seen above.

OTOH, anyone mentioned Blue Light Taxis? The Polemedia poilice were always interceding with the Cyp police and could be persuaded to run you back home. Likewise in Malta. Top of the Gut was a good refuge with a police landrover often sitting there. You could get absolutely legless and they would always see you right.

Maybe a bit of self protection too as a 'nasty plod' might get seen to down a back alley?