PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Police
Thread: RAF Police
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2006, 06:31
ivrytwr3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: RAF Police

I did not mention the tragic accident as a cheap shot, i mentioned the accident because all this thread has been about is people saying all RAF Police do is barrier up barrier down, i am saying that we are a professional police force and our taskings diverse greatly and on a day to day basis. One day we are investigating £3k bikes going missing (left unsecured outside the Officers Mess) or where someone has left a loaned laptop outside a friends room door in the officers mess and was 'surprised' when it went missing ("well i knew he'd be back at some point so he could get in when he comes back"). These incidents were involving a pilot and the other a junior officer. The next we are assisting (not dealing) with a serious RTC. So apologies if people have taken that mention out of context.

In fact, the RAF Police have been requested by Civ Pol to record statements from the emergency services that dealt with the incident and we have also offered our services to stand out on the road on which the accident occurred, stopping traffic, in the hope we can find any witnesses the crash. We don't HAVE to do that, but the victims were RAF and we are all RAF and want to help.

On a side note, whist sitting outside the empty MQ, i had several knocks on my window from officers asking what did i know; which was not very professional, and yet i had several knocks from other officers offering me tea, sandwiches, the use of toilet facilities etc. So every trade has its good eggs and its numpties!

With regards to the pilot and the missing bike, just because he had no common sense, does not mean i think all pilots have no common sense So why, because you've had run ins with some cretins withing my trade do you tar us all alike? If i had that attitude i would not get very far. Every one i meet is giving the benefit of the doubt at the first meet!

Now what about the other points i mentioned regarding the trade?

1. RAF Police allocation of the higher pay band (we must be something right!)

2. After leaving training you will be earning £18841 pa.

3. I also work 12 hour shifts of 4 on and 4 off, and on the 4 off i spend it with the family, very rare is it to be called in to work on your stand down.

4. And out of those 8 years i have spent 7 months doing gate duties waiting for MPGS roll out.

5. I've also served in Afghanistan, Gulf, Las Vegas, Rio, Dakhar, Germany (there's more, but that's all i can think of at the moment).

It's good job with a good standard of living. Unfortunately we can't all be pilots and for those of us that can't I would recommend my trade to anyone!

Last edited by ivrytwr3; 14th Jan 2006 at 07:52.