PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Seniority Joke
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2006, 02:41
Crusty Demon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Qantas Seniority Joke

Podbreak, I have been in the position of flying crappy dangerous aircraft around, and have seen the same sort of thing where the bloke who has a couple of years on the single gets leapfrogged by some bloke with no experience who turns up wanting to fly the twin (and also get paid more). So I assume if this happens to you, it gives the others the right to say boo-hoo because you are getting 40 grand a year? I got a lot less than 40 grand in GA for starters, and so are a lot of people at present. You can actually earn less than that in some of the regionals.

I suppose then that when you end up in QF or some other airline, you will want to let others start on a lot better terms and conditions than yourself because it is so much better than the 40 grand you get now? If you look closely, the majority expressing concern at this deal are ones who are not directly affected by it. However, they are wanting to look after those who are yet to join so they are not subjected to the same discrimination. It is unfair, just as it is to the bloke in GA who has spent time with one operator to have the newby inexperienced get the better flying above him. It has nothing to do with pay.

Or will you be happier with your extensive GA experience to start and have cadets who start on the same day get 2 years less time for promotion, and a major head start when it comes to rostering all because they are better qualified than yourself. In effect, they will be paid a lot more over the course of their career. Does this sound fair to you?