PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survival Kits
Thread: Survival Kits
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2006, 00:25
Hidden Agenda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survival Kits

Hi B.S.,

Let’s not confuse aviation with reality.

Does one really give a hoot…unfortunately ‘yes’ otherwise I probably wouldn’t be wasting my time on such a wild goose chase.

Who cares? The civil aviation regulators, and the predatory aviation lawyer’s who feed on such matters when there is an accident. As they care, it is my job to care too.

The regulators in my area want us to carry, under certain conditions, such things as Marine Type Pyrotechnic Flares and Toffee Glucose Tablets; and it would appear that they must be of a type that is approved by that regulatory authority. As is often the case the simplest way to meet this requirement is to get another authority’s approval “rubber stamped”.

I can find these items as part of a complete survival kit that has been approved – for an Airbus A320 etc, but so far not the individual items I need. Despite some helpful advice from members of this forum my search continues.

The volume of my requirement, half a dozen flares and a kilo of toffee glucose, obviously doesn’t have the salesmen of these products jumping on the next flight to see us, or even answering my e-mails.

In the meantime we, like you, carry enough equipment (that doesn’t require regulatory authority approval) for us to survive in the jungle, in extreme discomfort for up to a week. Seven days would appear to be enough time for the SAR guys in my part of the world to find you, if they are ever going to! After that I guess you become the subject of a book or perhaps a reality TV show.

HA