PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gen Nav
Thread: Gen Nav
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2006, 13:50
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Gen Nav

Funny you should mention that aztec but I also left the exam room with just over half an hour left on the clock. This was after double checking everything. In hindsight if I took another five minutes or so on a Lamberts Conformal theory question then I would have got 100% (I am pretty sure that was the question I had wrong). In reality I was happy with the 99% that dropped through the door.

It isn't difficult. Nor is it particularly time constrained if you are very familiar with the CRP-5. Also with the runway hw/cw questions use the calculator, it is a lot quicker than the CRP-5.

Know GC's and RL's and how to calculate them quickly.

Be very careful when it comes to variation / deviation etc etc... easy to subtract / add the wrong way around and hey presto choosing the incorrect answer that the CAA have very handily supplied as an option.

There is usually a nice easy question that looks complicated at first but if you draw it out you'll find it is a right angled triangle with two equal sides so the answer is normally 45/135/225/315 degree relative bearing to / from the aircraft (usually a VOR or something).

The plotting is usually centred over Ireland. So know the E(LO)1 chart well.

Also INS/IRS and Compass questions crop up near the end. The IRS question usually has three waypoints with an autopilot flying between each of them in turn. The Lat/Long's are given and they want the number of degrees the aircraft would turn at the second waypoint to reach waypoint three. This is usually a two marker (maybe a three but I might be wrong).

Know the formula's well. "No two C's together" will tell you that Convergency and Cos can't go together so it must be Convergency and Sin. Cos must therefore be Departure.

Anyway if I think of any specific examples I'll post them here.