PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Imminent strike at RAF Shawbury?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2006, 11:36
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Imminent strike at RAF Shawbury?

What many of the critics of the possible strike action forget is that we work in a capitalist society. It is up to me as a "worker" to get as much for my services as I can to support my family. It is up to the employer to get my services for as little as pay as possible.

A skill will produce a pay rate commensurate with that skill. If there are lots with the skill then pay will be low etc. It doesn't matter that people have pensions or a stable lifestyle there is still a rate for the job. PFI contracts tend to be awarded to the lowest bidder who is the lowest because he pays the lowest wages, as fixed costs are the same for all bidders.

In the past ex-service pilots have been willing to work for less because they want stability but this is changing as they realise their true worth to the company. We have very successfully driven up our wages in the N Sea by being aware of our true value and demanding to be paid as such. There is no box of experienced pilots to replace us and I would presume this is the case at Shawbury

If you think you are worth more then stick to your guns, especially if there is nobody to replace you. Managers may think it is they who earn their company the money but we know different

HF