PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Japanese Taxes
Thread: Japanese Taxes
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2006, 08:27
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Re: Japanese Taxes

I don't believe you would be eligible to qualify for Japanese tax, dalflyer, for the following reasons:
- I don't believe the Air Japan pilots hold Alien Registration cards - something that ALL foreigners who are legally residing in Japan are REQUIRED to have (issued by the local city council - checked by Immigration going out of/into Japan);
- I don't think the Air Japan gaijin pilots are issued with work permits (by the Japanese Government), and stamped in your passport;
- therefore, they are not considered as inhabitants in Japan.

Obviously any government that considers you as a resident of that country would be expecting that you would be able to show how you supported yourself, if asked, with a view to paying taxation on that income.
Whilst stashing your money away in an Isle of Man account might SOUND like a good idea at the time, the reality is far different if you are not resident there.
Be careful.

I suspect that IF the Japanese Government decides to make a move, the contractor is going to be the first one in the firing line.
If the US or Australian Governments investigate the pilots, THEY will be the ones in the barrel, if tax hasn't been paid somewhere.
Be careful.

Conditions for the newer Japanese pilots with the lcc's in Japan, are nowhere near as good as they have been for those of the legacy carriers, from what I have seen.
The "new management" style of "abuse the staff and pay them half", has come into play here (except, of course, for the managers) - however, although they don't like it, the Japanese keep the same "face" whilst working tirelessly to get what the others still have, little by little.
It's an interesting experience.
As April (the end of the fiscal year) draws closer, negotiations (and any discreet industrial action) will come into swing...the Spring offensive.